What steps can I take to take over a business whose owner was arrested?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps can I take to take over a business whose owner was arrested?

My friend is a business owner and
recently was arrested and is now facing
a couple of years in jail. There is no
official partner in the business but I
know the ins and outs of the company and
have been very involved since day one.
Is there anyway I could go about running
the company until he comes home? He’s
worked really hard and I don’t want to
see it fail but I don’t know what legal
steps if any I can take to manage the

Asked on July 15, 2017 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can run the business if he gives you the authority to do so. He can hire you for the company and give you a title, or he can give you a limited power of attorney (POA) with authority to run his business for him, or he could give you some ownership interest (e.g. make you a partner, make you a member in an LLC, or give you stock in a corporation, depending on how the business is set up). There are pros and cons to each way of doing it, and you will also need to address with him other issues, such as access to and signing authority over business accounts. A business attorney can help you and him pick the correct method and carry it out (and if the business is not valuable enough that it's worthwhile for him to foot the bill for an attorney to get things set up, it's not worth worrying about). The key is, he *must* delegate the power to you in one way or another; you cannot step into his business and run it for him without his consent and authority. (Even if he is currently incarcerated, he can give you this power, though obviously, coordinating, communicating, getting documents signed, etc. will be more awkward and take more time.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption