what state within the U.S. has no laws that govern mortgage lending?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what state within the U.S. has no laws that govern mortgage lending?

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There are federal laws that cover some aspects of mortgage lending.  Since federal law is applicable in all states, then all states thereby have some mortgage lending laws.  For example, mortgagors are required to give borrowers a truth in lending (TIL) statement.  This is done pursuant to the requirements of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) of 1968 which is a federal law designed to protect consumers in credit transactions by requiring clear disclosure of key terms of the lending arrangement and all costs. 

Additionally, there is not a state that I can imgine that wouldn't have some law or regulation of its own dealing with at least one aspect of mortgage lending.  But again, by virtue of federal law, all states have some form of such laws.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption