Whatdo Ido if an auto mechanic is avoiding me after doing faulty work to my truck?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatdo Ido if an auto mechanic is avoiding me after doing faulty work to my truck?

I have a receipt for the work done. We went directly to the business to talk to him at which he was mad we were bugging him. My truck is spraying gas. How can I get him to honor work? Sue him?

Asked on June 13, 2011 under General Practice, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may have to sue him. If someone violates a contract (e.g. not doing the work they agreed to do) or negligently (that is carelessly) damages your property and will not voluntarily pay compensation, then your recourse is to sue--there's no body and no government agency which will try to collect your money for you.

To sue, the mechanic would have to be at fault--that is, either he didn't do what he promised, or he was careless and caused damage. If it just happens that a differnet problem developed at the same time or after he looked at the truck, but he wasn't instructed to fix that problem (and failed) and also did not himself cause it, he'd not be liable.

You could look to sue in small claims court to reduce your costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption