What shouldI doif my landlord is evicting me due to non-payment?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI doif my landlord is evicting me due to non-payment?

My stepdad fell down and broke his leg and ankle due to improper snow removal. We did not have any money to pay to get driveway plowed. In previous years the landlord has gotten it plowed. While my stepdad was in the hospital, the rent money was lost; it had been in his pants when he was transported to the hospital. As a result, we were unable to pay the rent and now they are threatening to evict us. We have a month-to-month rental payment.

Asked on January 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can try to work things out with the landlord, but ultimately, if you don't pay the rent, you can be evicted--there are no two ways about it. If you just are a month short, can you borrow the money from friends, family, a church, a charity, etc., or seek aid from some tenant-assistance organization?

Also: you say your stepdad broke his ankle due to improper snow removal. It may be the case that you might have a cause of action against the landlord for failure to plow, if the driveway is common property (e.g. it's not a single family home you're renting, where you rent the entire home and all the land)--in which case, it's the landlord's responsibility--and/or if you can show that the landlord's past plowing established an agreement or obligation that he would continue to do so. You may be able to sue for medical bills, lost wages, etc. You and your father should consult with a personal injury attorney--many will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption