What should I do if I redeport verbal abuse but was later asked to resign?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I redeport verbal abuse but was later asked to resign?

A manager pointed finger at me, called me a liar in front of other co-workers, then demanded that I complete a task. I did not blow up because I was afraid for my job security, so I went and finished the task. I went home and cried all night. I called the supervisor. The next day, he had the manager stay home. But at the end of the day, he asked me to resign, instead he could transfer me to another location. I am forced to quit my job. What can I do?

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may not be able to do anything.

First, while an employer cannot discrminate on the basis of race, religion, age over 40, sex, or disability--that is, it cannot harass a worker, or take negative action against them, because of one of these characteristics--an employer otherwise can "abuse" staff. That is, as a general matter, employers can be disrespectful, can yell, can call staff names, be unpleasant, etc.--there  is no law requiring employers to be respectful and fair, so long as they are not discriminating against a protected category.

Second, if you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will be disciplined, demoted, or terminated at any time, for any reason--even unfair ones--again, so long as there is no illegal discrimination. So if you are an employee at will, the employer does not have to transfer you; the employer may instead ask you to resign, and then fire you if you do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption