What should I do if I just found out that I wasn’t divorced whenI got “remarried”?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I just found out that I wasn’t divorced whenI got “remarried”?

My son’s mother never went through with the divorce like she said. I married another I didn’t know that I did so illegally. She said she wanted the divorce, she sent papers said I didn’t have to do anything. Haven’t heard anything in 15 years until now. What can I do to make this right?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  What you have to do is to go through the entire divorce process with your first wife as soon as you possibly can.  You did not state if the original paperwork sent to you was to be filed in the state of Oregon (which is the state that you have listed here in your question).  Where ever it was filed you should go to the county clerk's office and look to see if there was a proceeding filed and possibly it was listed as abandoned or dismissed based upon abandonment.  It is doubtful that after all this time you could resurrect the paperwork. But you need to make sure that you know the past procedural history for clarity.  Then find a lawyer and get divorced.  And remember: you need to re-marry your present wife, you need to make sure that you re-designate her on any life insurance policies, etc. to make sure that everything you thought was jointly held or being left to her as your spouse is proper legally.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption