What should I do when I appear in court?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do when I appear in court?

I was arrested along with 13 others for minor consumption. I blew a 0.02 and a 0 when we got to jail. When we got arrested we where never read our rights. I have court in a few days and don’t have a lawyer. I’m 20 years old. I was not in a vehicle; I was at the house.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the upcoming court appearance that you have pending concerning the minor consumption of alcohol charge that you have written about, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney as to the best way to resolve the charge against you. If you canot afford a private attorney, you might be provided a public defender.

One way to possibly resolve the criminal charge against you is to see if you are elgible for any "diversion" program that the court may have. If so and you successfully complete it, the criminal charge against you may be dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption