What should I do to be prepared for a criminal charges if I’m not guilty?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do to be prepared for a criminal charges if I’m not guilty?

I have been dealing with this case for the past 7 months and have just now gotten a criminal summons for Petit Larceny and Criminal Trespass 2. This case is built on 2 people’s statements when 1 of these statements was giving by the person who actually went into the building. The property that was “taken” was mine originally that I allowed the person pressing charges to borrow. This incident took place at a state university townhouse. I am a State Trooper’s son, in college and have a 100% clean record. I now need to know what I should do? I can’t afford an attorney.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best thing that you should do to prepare for the upcoming criminal proceeding against you that you assert you are innocent is to hire yourself an attorney. I suggest that you borrow money to retain one and enter into some payment plan for paying the lawyer. The last thing that you want to do is go to court on a matter that you are innocent on ill prepared where you believe the charges against you are unwarranted.

Another option is to contact the public defender's office to see if you qualify for appointed representation. You should also consult with your father.

Absent the above, I suggest that you get your witnesses in order and documentation showing that the property was yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption