What should I do if I still don’t have a lawyer for second court appearance for a criminal charge?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I still don’t have a lawyer for second court appearance for a criminal charge?

I haven’t hired lawyer due to time and cost constraints but I make too much to get Legal Aid. It’s for possession of a controlled substance.

Asked on November 6, 2018 under Criminal Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First, be realistic: are you going to be able to afford a lawyer? You should hire one--make no mistake about that. A lawyer will maximize the odds of minimizing the charges and/or punishment you face. If you can afford one, even if it means borrowing from a friend or family and hire an attorney. If you can, then hire a lawyer, make sure you make the appointment/consultation even if it means missing work--take a sick or vacation day, or call out sick, etc. to lock in the time--and have the lawyer contact the court and request a further adjournment (delay) due to the lawyer just being hired and needing time to get up to speed on the case. The lawyer will know how to do this.
If you cannot at all afford a lawyer, and/or are simply unwilling to pay what it will cost, then you'll have to appear pro se (as your own atttorney) since don't qualify for Legal Aid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption