What should I do if I am injured on the job?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Tell your employer you have been injured and if necessary, get medical care right away.

After injury or illness occurs, it is the employees responsibility to complete a claim form and to submit it to either the employer or the state workers’ compensation agency/board. Normally, an employer will have the claim forms available. The employer will submit the claim to the insurance company. The employer is given an opportunity to respond to the claim. If he does not contest the claim, the insurance company will make payment of medical bills and wages. A hearing can be scheduled if the employer contests the claim to determine whether, or how much, compensation is owed to the employee.



(Reviewed 9-08)

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption