What should I do if a company thinks I infringed upon their copyright agreement but I am being falsely accused?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if a company thinks I infringed upon their copyright agreement but I am being falsely accused?

A subpoena was recently sent to my address claiming I downloaded content illegally from the internet. However, none of the IP addresses included in the subpoena match my IP address.

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Business Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the subpoena upon you seeking material to be produced by you presumably in conjunction with a lawsuit is for you to consult with a business attorney about what you recently received and how to respond to it.

If you have no documents responsive to the request, you simply respond to the request under proper format (an attorney can assist you) and state that you have nothing to produce.

Perhaps the best way to resolve this dispute is simply to have the attorney I suggest you consult with make a phone call to see what needs to be produced and what can be done to end the matter that you are involved in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption