What should I do about an unknown debt that is supposedly in collections?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about an unknown debt that is supposedly in collections?

I have had a debt collector contact me demanding money, and will not give me any information regarding the collection besides the fact of how much they want me to pay. He claims I have gotten e-mails which I haven’t, and I know for sure that I haven’t received a billing statement. He demands that I pay this loan amount in full by writing a letter via FAX giving them permission to debt my account With all of my account information, and when I refuse He threatens that I could be arrested, and go to jail for fraud. What should I do or say I am going to attempt to contact him again?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under federal law as well as under the laws of most states there is legislation against unfair debt collection practices. If the debt collector will not provide you with any concrete information such as his/her name, mailing address, telephine number, name of business he/she is working for as well as send you a demand letter on the collection company's letterhead, and the basis for the debt (creditor, amount and creditor's address/telephone number) it seems that you have been approached by a person who is trying to defraud you.

Do not give this person any personal information. No social security number, no driver's license number, no date of birth, no bank account information.

You need to contact law enforcement immediately about this and/or your county's district attorney's white collar crime unit. Advise law enforcement about the threats and give law enforcement as much information that you presently have.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption