What should I do about a con-man who has drained my family’s assets?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about a con-man who has drained my family’s assets?

In 2006, my father died, leaving behind a large estate and many financial assets like a mortgage, three rental properties, and various stocks. A few months after he died, a family friend named contacted my mother and asked to help. After a few months, he eventually worked his way, via his seemingly charming mannerisms, into being my mother’s Power of Attorney. Although my mother never wanted, or intended, to sign her money away, he took this as a chance to gradually drain money out of each asset. Detective thinks we willingly gave our money to the con-man? Should we contact the state’s attorney? We have no money for a lawyer.

Asked on July 29, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a police report immediately about what happened requesting that the report immediately go to the district attorney's office for review and possible charges to be filed for theft and elder abuse.

If law enforcement will not accomodate you, you need to directly go to the district atttorney's office and make a report and see if a criminal action will be filed to prevent further instances to others in your community by this con man.

If your district attorney's office will not move on your complaint, then you need to contact your state's attorney general's office about what happened to make a report and then see what happens.

You also might contact some attorneys to see if they might help you in a civil action on a contingency fee where you would not put up any money for attorneys fees.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption