UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My husband walked out on me and my three children and has left me with all the bills and has also taking our tax refund for this year, I only have a low paying job which I have not been at long. What should I do?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Family Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Run, do not walk, to the county courthouse, and find the child support unit of the Family Part.  You'll need to take along your last three paystubs.  The people there will help you file a child support case, and it shouldn't cost you anything.  They may also be able to help you get in touch with legal services, if you qualify.  Many counties also have a women's resource center, and while that isn't part of the court system or the government itself, the people in the child support unit often know the people from the women's resource center on a first-name basis.

After that, you need to talk to a divorce lawyer.  If you don't qualify for legal services, the county bar has a lawyer referral service that is listed in your telephone book, and you can also check our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption