What should I do/

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do/

I’ve been married 15 years, my husband constantly accuses me of cheating I am not. He sleeps downstairs and I sleep upstairs. We barely communicate and I feel like I am walking on eggshells once I get home. We have a house together, loan is under my name, I pay the mortgage and all utilities. I no longer pay the car insurance until recently, he now has to pay it. I get scolded because he has to help me. My initial plan was to wait until my youngest turned 18, but that will be in 9 years and I cannot wait that long. Please help. What should I do? He threatens to take my kids and I am not an unfit parent.

Asked on April 18, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have an absolute right to divorce him, so the issue is, how do you best look after your and your children's rights.  The best way to do that is to retain a family or matrimonial/divorce law attorney to help you. The lawyer can decide the best way to file for divorce (there are different grounds; you want to pick the one that is best for your situation); can make sure the filing/paperwork is done correctly;  can make sure you get the best distibution of assets and/or support (if applicable) possible; can maximize your chance of child custody and help with child support; can file for any necessary "interim" orders that may be required, such as if your husband becomes physically threatening or withholds money from the family. If you are in an emotionally abusive relationship, there is no reason to keep living like this: meet with a lawyer next week and start the process. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption