What should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do?

I work for the USPS. My work jacket valued at $200 was stolen today. I reported it to my supervisor and asked that she call the postal police but she declined stating that they wont be able to do anything and that it is not the first time it happened. I’m currently waiting around to see if anyone comes back wearing it but thats a long shot. What are my options here?

Asked on December 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any options unless you identify the thief, in which case you could press charges and you might get restitution from the criminal court system (i.e. they could require restitution) and/or sue the thief (such as in small claims court). The law is quite clear that an employer is not liable for criminal acts committed by others, even employees: the employer does not make committing criminal acts (e.g. stealing jackets) part of its workers' jobs, so they are not responsible for those crimes. Therefore, you only have recourse against the thief, not the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption