What should I do if I sold a car and said that it was in good working condition but it turns out that it was not?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I sold a car and said that it was in good working condition but it turns out that it was not?

I sold my car and had a bill of sale saying it was in “good working condition,” which it was at the time of sale. He drove it around, checked it and everything. Apparently a few hours later, the check engine light went on and as it turns out, it signified a major transmission problem. Can he sue me?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under General Practice, Oregon


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

He can try to sue you but the issue is going to be whether he will be successful.  If he purchased the car from you "as is" and you did not warranty anything, the term good working condition can simply be puffing.  Puffing is allowed in advertising and it is not addressing anything specific. If indeed it was in good working condition when you advertised and when he purchased, then it is simply bad luck on his part.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption