What should be my next step upon knowledge of being sued?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should be my next step upon knowledge of being sued?

I ran into another vehicle, however it was minor impact causing no physical injury to 2 minor passengers or the driver. In fact, impact was so little I hardly have a dent on my car, the victim’s car, however had a minor dent and right light cracked. I now received the letter stating that I will be sued for the minors recieving serious bodily injuries. My mother who owns the car but can’t drive is also being sued. What should be my next step? Do I get a legal aid lawyer or based on hearing further details I get another lawyer to argue my case? I understand I was wrong and being fined is ok but a question of how much and the nature of how the injuries caused were exaggerated is my concern.

Asked on May 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your next step should be to provide the opposing party's attorney with your insurance information.
Most of these cases are eventually settled with the insurance company without a lawsuit being filed.
If the case is not settled and a lawsuit is filed which won't occur for at least several months and possibly even a couple of years, your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you and will handle the case for you.
DON'T WORRY about it.
Again, most of these cases are settled with the insurance company without any lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption