What should be done if an employer does not pay their employees the time worked?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should be done if an employer does not pay their employees the time worked?

I have a recent issue with my manager today. I have seen in all my paychecks that they never pay me for my full hours worked. I work 24 hours every weekend, never less and often more, and have seen that most times I only get paid 20-23 of the hours. Is there anything that I can do? New Link Destination
add on to this, my manager yelled at me for a problem I did not do, and sent me home after only 2 hours of working because I had cried from her complaints and didn’t think I could work.

Asked on March 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are an hourly employee, you must be paid for all hours worked. If not, you have two possible options:
1) Contact the department of labor: they enforce the wage laws, and may be able to help you; or
2) Sue the employer for the additional pay you should received, but did not.
Obviously, you will have to be able to prove (since this is a civil, or non-criminal, case by a "preponderance of the evidence," or that it is more likely than not) that you worked more hours than you were paid for. Possible sources of proof include time cards, surveillance video, you testimony (assuming you are credible), and the testimony of coworkers (if any).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption