What should a response be for a suit for foreclosure when you are listed as

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should a response be for a suit for foreclosure when you are listed as

I have been served lawsuit papers for a foreclosure and am wondering if it is necessary to even respond as I am not being sued for the money only my ex-husband, I am listed as in rem. I do not want the property back nor any involvement to it, so should I respond and if so what should I respond?

Asked on September 18, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You were served to give you the chance to try to intervene, if you wanted to. But if you are not on the loan and so are not personally liable, and do not care about the property, you don't need to do anything...or, as a slightly better course, send the bank's lawyers a letter by certified mail stating stating that you have no interest in the property, will not be opposing the foreclosure, and asking if there is anything you can execute voluntarily giving up your interest in the property. Depending on how you and your ex-husband owned it, it may be possible to give your intest to the bank and then not have to involved in or named, even on an in rem basis, in a lawsuit. But alternately, you could simply not respond and not appear at any trials, hearings, etc., since you don't have a stake in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption