What’s the procedure to transfer executorship from one sibling to another?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s the procedure to transfer executorship from one sibling to another?

My father-in-law passed on last week and 9 years ago my husband and I were named executors. Since he “doesn’t like paperwork” it was assumed that I’d be the one doing all the work. However I came down with kidney failure 15 months ago. I am realizing the nightmare of trying to get through all the disorganized paperwork and don’t feel I am up to this task. What’s the procedure to have one of his sisters named executor?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Estate Planning, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband were named as executors under your father's will but you both do not want to undertake this responsibility and prefer that one of his sisters acts in your place, you need to file a petition to probate your late father-in-law's will where one of the sisters assist in the process and request in the petition that one particular sister be appointed as the executrix under the will since you and your husband are not in a position to do so.

Before you undertake the time and effort of sifting through paperwork for the probate of the presumed will of your father-in-law, you and your husband along with the one sister who will end up handling the probate process should retain an attorney in unison to assist you in the probate proceeding.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption