What rights to I have if my husband left the house on drug binge and I can’t contact him

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights to I have if my husband left the house on drug binge and I can’t contact him

He left 2 days ago and I have want to
file to have him removed from the home
tk protect our children from drug
induced mental abuse and the overall
unhealthy environment he causes. He has
been gone as long as 1 week with no
contact then reappears and reeks havoc
on our lives until he leaves again after
a few days.. What right do I have to
protect myself and my children from this
chaos and disturbance caused from his
drug addiction?

Asked on August 24, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford and attorney, then go to a local woman's shelter and see if they can assist you with obtaining a legal aid attorney to help you.
From there, they can help you file a divorce action.  In the divorce action, you can request temporary orders which excludes him from the house, orders him to quit causing havoc, orders him into rehab or other drug testing....basically...relief from all the issues which have been affecting your life.  From there, if you want to proceed with the divorce, then you can get it finalized.  If he straitens up, then you can drop the divorce at a later time....but at least for now, you and your children will be protected and have some relief.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption