What rights do I have if my husband took his personal things and walked out?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have if my husband took his personal things and walked out?

Can he come back in the home and take what he wants?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This all depends on whether or not your husband has a possessory interest in the home. Meaning, does he own the home? are you both renting or leasing the property? His his name on the deed?lease agreement? rental agreement?. I ask because if he has a possessory interest, and there is no court order or Personal Protection Order that forbids him from going inside the home, then he is free to go to the home to take his personal belongings. If he does not have a possessory interest in the home, then technically you do not have to let him in the home, but he can always seek a court order to allow him or a third party to retrieve his personal belongings from the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption