What rights do I have as an employee if my employer bounced my paycheck?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have as an employee if my employer bounced my paycheck?

I work for a Chinese restaurant that was purchased by new owners. Then, 2 weeks ago, a couple of the employees had found their pay checks bounced. The owners did not rectify the situation until yesterday when these employees were re-issued new checks. Another employee found their pay check from last week bounced and my bank says my check from the same week is on hold until next week, likely do to the bounced checks that were drawn from the payroll account. What rights do we have as employees when it comes to this? Is there specific action that can be taken without fear of loss of future wages?

Asked on September 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the bounced checks are not made good at some point, you can sue for the money owed you. If you incurred charges or fees due to the checks bouncing (e.g. a NSF or bounced check fee), you could sue for those costs or fees, though it's not likely that it would be worthwhile taking legal action for those amounts. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption