What rights do I have as a new property owner?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have as a new property owner?

I purchased a house and the registration has been completed on 16th February
which means that the property now belongs to us, however the current tenants
refuse to move because they have not found a new house of their own. What rights
or what can I do as the owner of the house in this regard? We are unable to move
into our property because the current tenants cannot move out either but it was
agreed that we would take possession of the property upon registration of the
house in our Name and that there would be no need to pay occupational rent but
now they refuse to move out.

Asked on February 21, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the have a written lease, the you will have to honor it. If they have no formal lease (i.e. they have an oral lease), then they are month-to-month tenats. Accordingly, you will need to serve formal notice on them to vacate (30 days); if they fail to move by the date specified, then you will need to file a "unlawful detainer" action in court (i.e. you will need to evict them).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption