What remedies do I have for carpet repairs that my landlord has failed to make?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What remedies do I have for carpet repairs that my landlord has failed to make?

My landlord said that they would be cleaned and or replaced. They have burn holes from previous tenants and the seams are coming up (I have a disabled son with CP this is causing tripping hazards). My landlord told me that he would rather kick me and my disabled child out versus having to pay to repair the issues. What can I do?

Asked on April 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If there was an agreement--a written one, including one shown by faxes or emails would be better, since you can prove it more easily, but an oral or verbal one is enforceable--with the landlord that he would repair the college, you can enforce that agreement.

2) Also, if the carpeting represents an actual safety hazard, it may be possible to force the landlord to repair it under the "implied warranty of habitability"--which is a term added to all contracts that the rented premises must be safely inhabitable.

In either case, you may have enforceable rights, but  you would need to bring a legal action to enforce them. You can do this yourself, but an attorney would clearly be helpful. If you can't afford one, try contacting legal aid/legal services. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption