What remedies do I have against a former landlord that has posted a collection amount on my credit report that is not a valid debt?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What remedies do I have against a former landlord that has posted a collection amount on my credit report that is not a valid debt?

I legally terminated my lease because the A/C was not cooling the apartment properly and the landlord would not take any action to remedy the problem. They concluded that since cold air was blowing from the vents, it was working properly despite the apartment not being able to cool below 80 degrees when the temperature was in the low 90’s. My wife was 7 months pregnant and I followed the letter of the lease in legally terminating it. They claim I owe early termination fees and have reported that to credit agencies. How do I get this resolved?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to fight an uphill battle on this one and your road is that the apartment was not habitable. There are severe health issues when it comes to having no heat and no, blowing cold air is not sufficient, especially with a pregnant person. So, you go through the steps of legally terminating the lease. Then you contact your state attorney general and local consumer protection bureau or prosecutor regarding this matter. Then you file disputes with the credit report agencies indicating the landlord breached the lease and you are not liable for any monies owed. Keep doing this until this is all resolved. Contact the health department and contact building and safety, as well. Someone needs to be informed this landlord cannot continue to run apartments in this manner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption