What recourse do I have reagrding a co-beneficiary who keeps objecting to estate accounting?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have reagrding a co-beneficiary who keeps objecting to estate accounting?

My 2 brothers and 2 sisters and I agree to a final accounting of my grandmother’s estate. However, my aunt who is also a beneficiary, keeps objecting to the accounting and dragging the process out. Is there any remedy for us so that we can get our inheritance?

Asked on June 26, 2019 under Estate Planning, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If she hasn't brought an actual lawsuit/legal action, you can simply stop listening to or hearing her objections and conclude the estate. If she does file a lawsuit against the estate, you'll have to play things out in court, but if her objections are not valid, the court will order the probate to go forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption