What recourse do I have regarding an abused right of way?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have regarding an abused right of way?

My neighbor has a right of way across my property, however uses this right of way only as overflow parking, and never to access his property. In fact, even though I have numerous signs posted stating that no parking is allowed in the right of way, he continues to leave a junky vehicle parked in my yard so as to block access to the right of way. The neighbor has owned his home for many years before I bought mine, and believes that by virtue of

Asked on July 4, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that an easement holder does not own the property. An easement is the right to access or use the property; it conveys no rights beyond that. Therefore it cannot be used to interfere with, or restrict the rights of, the property owner. Accordingly, the easement holder cannot block access to it; he may not park his car on your property if this is an easement for access only. Since he won't confine his use of the easement to access only, you'll have to bring a lawsuit and file for a "declaratory judgment". Basically, the court will need to instruct him of his rights and the limits of those rights and also issue an order prohibiting him from doing what he should not. At this point, you should consult with a real estate attorney; they can best further advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption