What recourse do I have if someone is secretly recording me in my apartment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have if someone is secretly recording me in my apartment?

I have proof that there are audio and/or video recording devices hidden in my
apartment but I do not know who placed them there or for how long they have been
present. What can I do to figure out who did this and what legal options do I

Asked on May 29, 2019 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you locate them, you can remove or disable them: no one (other than police, pursuant to a warrant) have any right to record, etc. you.
If you can determine who placed them or to whom they are transmitting, you could sue that person for invading your privacy and violating wiretapping laws. Obviously, unless you can determine who is involved, you have no recourse against anyone.
As for how to locate or trace the devices, that is a question for a surveillance expert or for somone from one of those "spy stores" who sells and installs such devices.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption