What ramifications fall on me If my legal husband is having a baby with someone else?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What ramifications fall on me If my legal husband is having a baby with someone else?

If my legal husband is having a baby with someone else, am I responsible for anything that has to do with the baby if they break up? We live in California and were married for 5 years before I file for divorce. This was in 2015 whenever I check the online database of not really given to much information. I found out that his girlfriend is pregnant but we are still legally married.

Asked on November 19, 2017 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you have no legal responsibility to or for your husband's child with another woman. Of course, since *he* has a legal responsibility to the child and can be forced to pay child support, it can certainly indirectly affect you, since the child support he pays for her baby could reduce the money availble for spousal support (alimony) and the like for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption