What questions have to be answered

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What questions have to be answered

In nys what questions have to be answered
when pulled over and are you legally required
to do a field sobriety test

Asked on February 14, 2017 under Criminal Law, New York


John Bernardo / Law Offices Of John R. Bernardo III

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In Rhode Island you are not legally required to submit to a field sobriety test and you will be subject to a fine or penalty for refusing.  In fact, it may be wise to not submit to any field sobriety testing if you are impaired since all you will be doing is giving the prosecution more ammunition.   If you refuse a chemical test such as a breath test you will however be charged with refusing a breath test if the state can demonstrate they had reasonable grounds to believe you were driving impaired.  The best course of action is to not get behind the wheel if you are impaired to any degree.  Call Uber, a taxi, a friend or family member or make arrangements to stay overnight.   There is simply too much at risk to drive impaired.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption