What proof is necessary to sue someone off the title of a house if that same person is not on the mortgage?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What proof is necessary to sue someone off the title of a house if that same person is not on the mortgage?

My fiance is on the title, is the only name on the mortgage, pays all bills and utilities (all under her name), and the house is her primary residence. Her mothers name is also on the title, however her name is not on any bills or utilities, she does not live there, and she is not on the mortgage. The mother is unwilling to agree to sell the house without a (large) cash settlement. What proof would be necessary to sue the mother off the title? Could the house be sold without the mothers permission?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your fiance needs to seek legal help in her area.  Her Mother has all the benefit with out any of the burden.  You can not transfer the property with out her signature.  Now, if she is also the owner of the property then technically she is also obligated to maintian the property, pay the taxes, etc.  So I would speak with ana ttorney to figure out what her half of those expenses have been for the last how ever many years your fiance has been footing the bill and offset the proeprty by that amount at the very least.  Then there has to do with donw payments, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption