What paperwork do I need to file for a countersuitto an unlawful detainer?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What paperwork do I need to file for a countersuitto an unlawful detainer?

My landlord just served me with notice of file for unlawful detainer in open court with a court date of the 31st of this month and I am supposed to answer. I have had repairs that were needed in my apartment in the bathroom and kitchen for 3 months that made the bathroom tub and shower unusable and water leaking into the kitchen, during those months I did not pay rent. The repairs were just complete 3 days ago, the landlord came to the apartment and told me they were going to file.I would like to countersue and need to know how I go about doing this in the state of IN.

Asked on August 17, 2011 Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You most likely will be served with a pre-printed complaint where the boxes are checked in the unlawful detainer action against you. Most likely there is a pre-printed form for a cross complaint that you desire on line that you can use for your state of residence.

If not, go to the law library of the county where you live in and see if there are forms you can photocopy and use. If not, you will need to draft a whole new cross complaint similar to the one you will be served with.

You have a limited amount of time to answer the summons and complaint in an unlawful detainer action from service. In Califonria, it is five days. Make sure that you answer the complaint as well asserting the repairs needed to be done stated in your question.

If your county has a local bar association, contact it and see if there are clinics or attorneys who can assist you in your endeavor.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption