What options do homeowners have to coerce neighboring rentersto assist in repairs to a 50/50 shared gravel-and-mud driveway?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options do homeowners have to coerce neighboring rentersto assist in repairs to a 50/50 shared gravel-and-mud driveway?

We have a shared driveway 50-50 split between ours and the adjoining property. The other property is a rental and the current renters are damaging the mud-and-gravel drive and will not assist with repairs. The rental agent claims the owners are “missing” and refuses to assist or have his renters help. None of the parties involved have much money so repairs would be limited to “found materials” gravel and dirt and labor. What options do we have to coerce either the renters or rental agent to provide assistance or provide funds for more permanent repairs asphalt or concrete?

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you need repairs for a shared common driveway, the best way to start getting the repairs started is to have a meeting with the adjoining renter neighbors to ask for their help in making the repairs to the roadway. They are renters and have no duty to make the repairs, but perhaps they might.

As to the owners of the property tho are supposedly missing according to their rental agent, you need to sit down and have a face to face meeting with the agent of the property owner about the need for roadway repairs and the need to be given the telephone number of the owners of the property next door. Most likely the rental agent has some authority to help pay for some materials to get the roadway fixed.

If the rental agent is not helpful, your option is to make the repairs yourself and bring a small claims court action against the next door property owners for one half of the materials for the roadway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption