What options do I have if I am being sued for a credit card debt?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options do I have if I am being sued for a credit card debt?

I owe $9000 on a credit card and now I’m being sued. I don’t make the money I once did and now I’m just able to pay the bills I currently have. The court order states that if they don’t hear from me or my attorney a default judgment may be taken and I will have to pay attorney fees and court cost. What I can do?

Asked on March 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, if you dispute the debt--either entirely or its amount--you could fight the matter:  marshall your proof of your version, and force the creditor to prove what you owe. If however you agree this is a correct and lawful debt, it may not be worth fighting.

Second, you can try to negotiate a settlement and probably should--you lose nothing by trying.

Third, if you try to settle and fail, try to fight and fail, or indeed at any point, you could file for bankruptcy as a way to discharge this debt. While bankruptcy is a drastic alternative, if you truly can't pay your debts, it is something to discuss with a bankruptyc attorney and consider strongly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption