What legal rights do I have to seized property NOT accounted for on seizure of property form?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal rights do I have to seized property NOT accounted for on seizure of property form?

Metro Nashville, TN. Multiple personal property items were seized for a narcotics case including narcotics. Several items that were taken during a search of my university dorm were given to Metro PD by school security that are not related to the case in any way, and are not listed on the ‘Notice of Property Seizure and Forfeiture of Conveyances,’ including a school backpack, financial calculator BBA student, airsoft gun, and bank bag locking zipper type. I have verified the items are in Metro evidence, but they are marked as ‘evidence’ and cannot be released unless the detective that started the case releases them. What legal rights do I have or position to make in order to have my personal, non-case-related articles returned to me?

Asked on April 24, 2016 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yo can petition the court to release any items that are not really evidence.  However, consider consulting with a defense attorney before you do so.  If these items link you in any way to the narcotics that were found, your petition will effectively be a judicial admission that you are connected to the narcotics.  It may be cheaper just to purchase new items to protect yourself from further prosecution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption