What legal rights do I have if I financed a house for my girlfriend and we are no longer together?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal rights do I have if I financed a house for my girlfriend and we are no longer together?

I financed a home for my girlfriend and kids and now we are not together. She has paid me but I have to fight for my money monthly to pay mortgage. We have no written agreement between us and I have paid some notes to save my credit.

Asked on November 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you ended up taking a loan out in your name (as a possible co-signer) or in full for your girlfriend's property were you have no written agreement as to you and her for payment on the monthly mortgage on her home that you are essentially paying first with reimbursement from her on a monthly basis, you need to get a detailed written agreement between you and her signed about the finance that you are writing about.

The written agreement needs to state your and her obligations to the underlying loan and to each other. It needs to be dated and signed by each of you. I suggest that an experienced real estate attorney be consulted with to possibly draft this suggested agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption