What legal recourse is there when your apartment floods due to bad pipes and landlord doesn’t clean the water and lets it just dry?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal recourse is there when your apartment floods due to bad pipes and landlord doesn’t clean the water and lets it just dry?

Over a month ago my apartment flooded due to pipes from the third floor; I’m on the first floor. The owners fixed the pipes but left the damage in my unit. They didn’t even clean up the water that was left standing on my carpet and floor. This is the second time in the 3 years that I’ve lived here (the first time was under different owners).

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A landlord does not insure his or her tenant's goods, so the landlord may not be responsible for damage to your personal property (e.g. furniture, electronics). He or she would be responsible for these only if the landlord was at fault in some way (ignored a leak while it got worse; didn't perform maintenance; performed repair improperly; etc.).

On the other hand, a landlord is obligated to maintain the premises in a safe, clean, hygienic, and habitable fashion. Not cleaning up/drying up the water, or repairing damaged walls or ceiling, could easily be a violation of the obligation. In that case, you may be due compensation (for living in impaired conditions); the landlord might also be liable for damage to any of your belongings caused by the failure to clean up the water, etc. in a timely fasion (e.g. if the standing water then damaged furniture).

Therefore, you may well have one or more (depending on landlord fault) causes of action, and it would be worthwhile for you to meet with an attorney to explore you options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption