What legal recource do I have if a co-worker physically stopped me from leaving a room?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal recource do I have if a co-worker physically stopped me from leaving a room?

Due to a co-worker being very agitated and yelling at me, I wanted to leave the conversation and the room we were in. As I started to walk out of the room, he grabbed my shoulder/arm and turned me around to stop me from leaving.

Asked on October 18, 2016 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is not the police and is not responsible for your coworker's assault (which is what this was). It *is* possible that after the fact, if this person attacks you again and injures you badly enough that you have an economically worthwhile lawsuit, that then you can hold your employer liable for its "negligent supervision" in not taking action to protect you: but you can only do this after the fact, if you have a worthwhile or viable lawsuit. You can't prospectively or proactively force your employer to take action against this employee. 
However, you can go to the police and file a police report, and potentially presss charges for, assault. Even if you elect to not press chargs this time, you may wish to at least file the report, to begin creating a record or "papertrail" of his behavior.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption