What legal action can I take if my auto insurance company left me without a car for 3 months?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal action can I take if my auto insurance company left me without a car for 3 months?

I bought a new car7 months ago. The car was damaged in a flood 4 months later. My mechanic informed me today, that I can pick up my car tomorrow as all the repairs are done. That’s over 3 months without a car; I had to quit my job because of this. I’m making payments on a car that should be brand new. My insurance agent has offered me no compensation and the manager of the claims specialist handling my claim went so far as to tell me it sounded like I drove my car “into a puddle”.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Insurance Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your policy of insurance with your auto insurance carrier in that its terms and conditions control the obligations between you and your carrier.

If your insurance policy does not cover you for a rental of a car when your own car was being repaired, then contractually the carrier was not obligated to pay for a car rental for you during this three month period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption