What kind of visa do I need if my foreign spouse and I live abroad?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of visa do I need if my foreign spouse and I live abroad?

My situation isn’t the norm. I’m a US citizen living in Mexico with my soon to
be Mexican spouse. He currently has a valid 10 year tourist visa. When that
expires, what kind of visa would be best? We want to be able to travel
without issue to and from the US, but currently have no intentions to live
there. Will he need another tourist visa? Is there a better option?

Asked on January 27, 2017 under Immigration Law, Utah


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you do not plan to live in the US on a permanent basis, then there is really no other type of visa for which your husband would qualify.  He would need to apply for a new tourist visa once the current one is expiring and hopefully, he will be able to get it, assuming he has not broken any immigration laws and the US immigration laws continue to be as they have been and not as the new President is threatening to change them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption