what kind of lawsuit can be brought against a landlord that made false statements in order to evict, causing emotional duress, suffering?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what kind of lawsuit can be brought against a landlord that made false statements in order to evict, causing emotional duress, suffering?

landlord began eviction process claiming significant damages that were not accurate, hiring “friendly” contractor to come in and support the claim, tesitfying with false information spreading false information in community, to neighbors, blatantly lying to accomplish goals, thus causing great emotional duress, insomnia, and credibility in the community, and potential new landlords, all in order to accomplish goal of unfair eviction, financial gain, etc.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Personal Injury, Maine


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

What you can do is:  1. leave the apartment if the eviction process has begun and stop paying rent; 2.  file a complaint with the attorney general's office and copy the landlord on the letter; or 3. hire a lawyer to write a letter threatening to sue the landlord for emotional distress and a violation of the ME unfair trade practices act based on his conduct.  The landlord has lots of control here and it will be hard fro you to prove your claim.  If you have witnesses, then your case gets better.  I suggest that you be able to provide evidence that the landlord is lying and so forth to back up the claim.  otherwise, moving out is the best alternative. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption