What kind of detective or company should I look into if I can’t find my husband to serve him divorce papers?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of detective or company should I look into if I can’t find my husband to serve him divorce papers?

My sister’s husband is making it as difficult as possible to be served these papers. He hasn’t allowed phone calls, has been confirmed by his family as actively cheating and avoiding being found by his wife for more than a year now. She’s trying to find his address so she can serve him the papers, as required by the court when she filed the papers.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your sister has two options.  She can have a process server do a skip trace to try to locate her husband so that he can be served with the documents.  Process servers are listed under attorney services in the Yellow Pages or online.

Your sister's other option if she doesn't know the whereabouts of her husband is to have him served by publication.  Service by publication is running a notice of the documents with which he is to be served in the legal notices section of a newspaper for the requisite period of time.  The required period of time for service by publication varies from state to state.  The court clerk can tell your sister how long the notice has to run in the newspaper to be valid service by publication.  Service by publication is valid even if your sister's husband doesn't see the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption