What is the usual punishment for a hit and run first time offender?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the usual punishment for a hit and run first time offender?

I’m only 17, had my license for 2 days and hit a parked car. No one was hurt, just property damage. I’m a good kid, never got on trouble, straight a student everything. I just panicked. What’s goning happen? My court date is in a month.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I sugegst that you retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you at the upcoming criminal matter in that any offered plea deal will be better with an attorney representing yourself as opposed to you doing so on your own.

As to a general sentence for a conviction of a "hit and run" where there is no personal injury and no major property damage, there is usually a fine of $1,000 or so, no jail, community service work and restitution for the damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption