What is the statute of limitations for a felony theft crime?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statute of limitations for a felony theft crime?

My husband was arrested over the weekend for a warrant from 7 years ago ssued in another state. He said he had not been in that city or county for 9-10 years. He is being held in jail in right now (in our state). I have called the city police, county police and the circuit court but no one seems to know what to do. I just keep being told to call someone else.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Different states have different felony statute of limitations for the filing of a lawsuit for a theft crime. Typically the time to file from when the offense occurred is within four (4) years.

In your husband's situation, the warrant for the arrest arising from a filed action shows a passage of seven (7) years from the filing of the lawsuit, not more than four (4) years from when the offense supposedly happened and the filing. I suggest that your husband consult with a criminal defense attorney to further help him on his matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption