What recourse does a vendor have if a customer’scheck bounces?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse does a vendor have if a customer’scheck bounces?

My company did some repair work on the customers yacht and he paid with a check. We deposited the check and just found out it was returned. What are our options for a bounded check?

Asked on September 28, 2010 under Business Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There are both Civil and Criminal penalties in each state.  In Florida, you need to make a demand for payment to the customer as soon as possible (I might do so in writing). If they fail to make payment within 30 days after demand, you can receive treble damages of the amount owed in addition to the amount owed, together with bank and court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees, not less than $50 and no more than $2,500. If payment is made in 30 days, a service charge of $10 or 5% of face amount of check, whichever is greater, can be added. In stop payment action, reimbursement for actual travel expenses to holder or agent for filing papers, and for traveling and providing witnesses to an from proceeding.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption