What is the procedure for tenured employees when minimum wage is raised?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the procedure for tenured employees when minimum wage is raised?

I have worked at a company for over two years and I hold a management type position. I recently discovered that new male employees are paid much higher wages than the tenured female employees. Now, minimum wage in my state has been raised to $9.50 and the tenured employees, unless specifically asking, have not received equal wage compensation. Is there any precedent for raising wages when minimum wage is raised?

Asked on August 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no requirement that all employees receive raises or additional compensaton when minimum wage goes up; the only requirement is that everyone receive at least minimum wage. If minimum wage employees get a raise when the minimum is increased, that does not mean that anyone else has to get an increase.
That said, if new male employees are being paid more than experienced female employees, that could indicate illegal sexual discrimination: treating men better than women. Based on what you write, it may be worthwhile contacting the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to discuss the situation and your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption