What is the Pennsylvania laws on removing previous owner from property I purchased in a tax sale

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the Pennsylvania laws on removing previous owner from property I purchased in a tax sale

In September of 2018 I purchased a property in the Annual tax sale in Westmoreland County, I now see that the property is not vacant like I thought but now occasionally occupied by the owner, what steps do I have to take to take possession of the proprety

Asked on October 10, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You'll have to give this person formal notice to vacate. Since they are a not tenant but rather tresspasser, in most states this notice can be for as little as 3 days. If they refuse to leave the premises within this time, then you can file for what is known as an "ejectment"; this is like an eviction but faster. At this point, you should to consult directly with a real estate lawyer in your area as they can best advise you further. However, in the meatime do not take any self-help measures such as attempting to change the locks or removing the old owner's belongs. If you do, you can find yourself on the wrong side of a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption