What is the next step if I have a judgement against my property and I cannot seem to sell it?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the next step if I have a judgement against my property and I cannot seem to sell it?

The judgement is against real property to be sold or auctioned to pay a creditor by the end of this month. The property is listed with realtor but no sales. How can I extend the due date? What is the next step for the court or creditor to take?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

One option to extend the sale date of your property by auction is to get a written stipulation by the judgment creditor to extend the time period signed by all. If that will not suffice, then your next option would be to consult with a real estate attorney to get an injunction with the court to extend the auction sale date of your property.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about your situation as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption